August 30, 2016

Tuesday 8/30 Day 17; desperation and miracles

I was at the end of my store of patience today.
In a moment of desperation, I put two preschoolers (age 4 and 5) on a couch and told them to work it out.
Prior to this I've endured endless arguments and fights and bickering over who gets to talk, and about what, who gets to pee first, who's imaginary car is more red than the other one's... and who said the word "blue" like 'blew' and who said it like 'bleue'...from the perspective of a 4 year old and 5 year old respectively.  Deep breath.  And one more...keep going...

So the boys were absolutely hilarious.  Sitting on the couch, no, rephrase: climbing on and vaulting over the couch, and discussing "how to play together" was like one of those YouTube videos of someone coming out of anaesthesia and talking about unicorns and God.  I've never laughed so hard!  Or been so amazed at how well a theory worked.

Previously I had flipped thru a few books on Non Violent Communication and Parenting - set out for me by the mom of the kids I'm nannying, of course.  I've heard of it before and my initial impression was along the lines of "good for her, but not for me".  I mean, it makes good solid sense if you have a child that is compatible with discussion and empathy and in touch with their feelings.  In spite of my best efforts and interest and self-education, my fourth child is NOT that child.  My child responds well to clear concise black-n-white instantaneous reaction.  But I keep trying.  So at 4:30pm and at the end of my rope, I grabbed both boys up and sat them on the couch and forcefully insisted that they "work it out!"  And so they did.

After 20 minutes on the couch, they played together joyfully and cooperatively for 45 minutes, and then thru dinner, and then afterwards.  My god, what miracle did I stumble over??

It will never work again, I'm sure of it... but for today it was a blessing in a moment of absolute desperation.  I guess it's true: miracles are the product of desperation.  I was desperate, it was a miracle.  And that is all I need to say about Tuesday and Day 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment