August 29, 2016

Monday 8/29; Day 16...and balance

In my daily life, I try to focus on balance.  Balance good nutrition with ice cream, a late night with a next day nap, sadness and grief with some joy and laughter.  If you pay attention enough, you'll recognize the ebb and flow of each day and then when things feel really bad for whatever reason, you can hold onto the knowledge that the balance of it all will return.  It helps me to get thru those tough times, to know that something smoother is just around the corner.  However, I tend to forget that when things are smooth and pretty, there's usually some storms brewing ahead.  Thank you universe!

Saturday night at dinner I served meals to two of my own kiddos (G and H) and the two that I'm nannying, plus J (G's dad).  Six people total.  And, let me remind you, this was not some special planned dinner party! It was one mom feeding a rotating cast of offspring on a hot, summer night.  I pulled off two vegetarian plates, one gluten free/salicylate free plate, one picky eater plate, and food enough for all.  We all sat at the table together and ate and talked and shared and there was a moment of absolute completeness in my heart (save for the fact I was missing two others of my own, plus a couple of J's kids) but it just felt full and sweet and safe and like it was supposed to be exactly the way it was.  I said many many words of gratitude in my mind.  And my imagination is running wild with this joy and with how to recreate it in the future.

and then there's the balance...

I have been frustrated with some of G's behaviors lately.  They mostly seem to be when the nanny-kids are around.  One person said maybe it was a jealousy issue.  I don't think so, but I'm not discounting it entirely.  I feel more like it's related to trust and safety - about how much G trusts me and feels safe with me overall, and somehow when I am in charge of more children, he begins to feel threatened somehow, or maybe his inability to be flexible creates conflict and THEN he feels fear about how that will play out without trust in me to navigate it appropriately?  This ultimately manifests in behaviors where he argues with everything I say and really tries to be in control of everything he can and then gets irrationally upset when he is not in charge.  Also? Everything in life is nooooot fairrrrrrrr; just in case you were wondering.  It's not fair that sometimes he can't be in charge of who is allowed to talk and what the topic is.  The sky isn't blue, its not, it's not at all.  And it isn't only 2:00 in the afternoon, it isn't, no, no it's not at ALL, the clock is wrong, it's NOT FAIR. It is mentally exhausting, for both of us.  Honestly, it exhausts me and makes it really hard to enjoy any time with him because its such a barrage and onslaught of negativity that when he IS being the sweet and tender boy that I know, I'm still seething and irritated as hell.  Oh Universe, are you still laughing?  Of course you are... This nanny gig is one loooong stretch.

These behaviors are only obvious and having an impact when the nanny kids are around, the rest of the time he is his usual sweet, funny self.  And thus, I remain perplexed.

The reason I think it has to do with trust and feeling safe is because these kinds of behaviors were new to him and popped up after he'd been in the daycare center where he was mistreated.  The Child Protective Services program (where I was directed to once I figured out he was being hurt) said that those kinds of oppositional behaviors toward a parent are typical in abuse situations and can stem from a child losing trust in the adult who sent them into the situation where they were hurt.  Ugh.  So, yes, my son lost trust in my ability to keep him safe.  I am a loser.  The truth hurts.  As soon as I pulled him from that place, however, I saw a distinct lessening of those behaviors and he started getting calmer, sweeter, and more cooperative, and more affectionate.  It was a sweet time, although it was very brief.  Once I'd found a new place for him to go to, a lot of those behaviors began surfacing again.  I do temper my observation with the fact that he is often easily overwhelmed, gets tired and over stimulated quickly, and needs a lot of 'alone time'; however those negative and distrustful behaviors went beyond the exceptions.

I took him to a therapist.  I talked to his pediatrician (for the record, she is the same pedi ALL my kids have had, a very trusted female, mom, and professional whom I've had positive difference of opinions with and highly value/trust her opinion; and is someone who knows me and my family). I talked to friends, and non-friends, and I researched mental health issues in preschoolers, and in abused kids, and in average kids.  I researched my own parenting, my triggers, my habitual responses, how to change my parenting/triggers/habitual responses... and Cheezncrackers!!! Nothing shed light on these particular behaviors then, or now.

So if you have a suggestion, or opinion, or some sort of outside insight? Please... please speak up.  Maybe it's just jealousy.  pffft.

Anyway... balance.  It was awesome, and then it wasn't... and everyday that I nanny these sweet kids, it's the same.  There is laughter, and there is frustrated growling.  There are battles for control, battles for authority and position, and subdued, penitent cuddles and apologies.  There is intense connection tempered by animalistic separation.  Oh universe, trusting you is the hardest thing...and when I think of how much I personally believe in and trust my own God, it's even more of a challenge to just throw my hands up and say, "It's all up to you, cuz I have NO power here at all!"  But what else can I do that I haven't already tried?

And maybe, somehow, that is in fact the essential point that I need to embrace.  Trust.  Hope.  Believe.  Honor.  Accept.  That's a lot for day 16...and for a 4 year old...

No comments:

Post a Comment